09 August 2008

Going for the gold

Summer is a great time to drink golden beers. My favorite this year is Sierra Nevada Summerfest Lager. Our local pub has kept it on draft for the last several weeks, and I have done my best to make it worth their while! I've also picked it up at the store in bottles. Lovely brew, crisp, light, thirst-quenching, full-flavored. I love the beer from Sierra Nevada. It hit the shelves the same year I became of legal drinking age. The stuff is "mother's milk" to me. Another stalwart in the microbrew scene for many years has been Alaskan Brewing Company. Their Kölsch-style Summer Ale is a smooth, slightly sweet, very drinkable brew. Rounding out the trifecta is Mission Street Blonde Ale from Steinhaus in Paso Robles. Never heard of these guys before, can't seem to find them on the web. The beer was the lightest of the three, lacking the Summerfest's complexity and the Summer Ale's fruity character. I quaffed them greedily, nonetheless. T'anks to sister-in-law Amy for stocking up on them prior to our arrival. Lots of the people in my life are not beer drinkers, but the nearest and dearest of them make an effort to pack the fridge in anticipation of our visits. God Bless You All.

No comments: