13 August 2008

Teacher's

Tomorrow I begin my 25th year of teaching. Actually, I just go to work. The students don't arrive until Monday. Today is my 250th post here at TPP. Today's topic? Teacher's. The whisky, that is. They call this Glasgow blend Highland Cream Scotch Whisky, an unusual appellation. I don't associate "cream" with whisky, though "creamy" is certainly a positive atttribute for an alcoholic spirit. This is a delicious whisky, in fact, demonstrating that not all good scotches have to be singles. I was impressed with the bright, full, malty mouthfeel on this drink, surprisingly warm and flavorful. I say "surprisingly" because we single malt fans tend to think only single malts can have a rich taste. Teacher's was a gift from my pal John B, who is an old codger and a drinking buddy. Alas, he' s on the wagon these days, in his new assisted-care home the booze is verboten. Just as well, he had a stroke and the drink will probably put him down for the count rather than help his recovery. I figure that's why he gave me the whisky, because he wasn't going to get a chance to enjoy it. Besides, he's a gin man. Some day, if I live that long, I might have to give my booze to someone who can still drink it. No sense dying with full bottles, eh? Booze keeps--that's one of the best things about it. Ideally, I'll be sippin' good whisky (or whiskey) on my death bed. It is, after all, the "water of life."

Now I'll expect y'all to raise a glass of good stuff to teachers everywhere. No one ever drinks to teachers. Teachers and drinking are not usually lumped together. I sure appreciate drinking after a day of teaching, but that 's not the point. The point is, no one ever drinks to teachers. Now that you've read this, you can go out and actually drink Teacher's, not just drink to teachers. You knew I had to work that in, didn't you? One item I found interesting at Teacher's was the bit about the Finger Print, that is, the malt most responsible for the blend's qualities. Much like Chivas Regal is built upon Strathisla, Teacher's shows the imprint of Ardmore. Now that one is a single I'll have to find. They claim to be the only Highland distillery left that peats its own malt. This makes an intriguing side-by-side tasting idea: match the foundation malt with the blend. Blind taste the single, then pick the blend. Would that be easier than trying the blend and matching the single? Hmmm. Seems like an experiment is in order. OK class, get to work!


Slàinte mhath!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are obviously much too young to be starting a 25th year of teaching -- how could that happen?? I will enthusiastically drink whatever it is I drink as a celebration these days to teachers in general and M.C. in particular -- it is a brave and worthy thing you all do and we who have children are especially grateful. I have always thought that you are the kind of teacher I would have liked my daughter to have, Mark -- I think that is the highest laudation a parent can offer a teacher and it is heartfelt. Your 25th year -- just go forth and do what you do -- it is the most we could ask and I am sure gratitude is running amuck somewhere! noc